Monday, September 19, 2011

Clowning around

Clown Noun: A comic entertainer, esp. one in a circus, wearing a traditional costume and exaggerated makeup.
While reading the fourth act of The Winter's Tale, I suddenly had an overwhelming desire to know why Shakespeare didn't give this character a name, but only a title, or role. He not so much of a side character in the story than I thought he would be, but I still can't help but sometimes think of him as clown in an Adam Sandler kind of way.

At first thought I wanted to assume that he was just a generic character, only to be used. Which he does get used, by Autolycus when he takes advantage of his charitableness. After reading the fourth scene, I wonder if Shakespeare is sending a subtle message of being too giving and charitable to strangers by how he writes the Clown's character/personality. I definitely haven't done enough research into Shakespeare and his take into Christianity through his plays and characters' actions, but I feel Clown definitely could be analyzed in that way for interesting results.

Clown also tends to be involved with matters that include money, more so than any other character. When I read stories, I tend to try to find what character I'm the most like, who I can relate to most. In this story, I wish to think that I am charitable to those in need, but on the other hand I think I too could be easily taken advantage of when being extra giving. I admit this part was a bit of a stretch, I'm really not that much like Clown.

3 comments:

  1. I like this post, but I won't lie to you...I was a little disappointed when I didn't find out exactly how much you are not like Clown. Do you think that maybe you aren't as willing to be charitable? Is it that you are not as naive? (It would be hard not to be). Do you consider yourself to be like any particular character in the play at all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well what do you think this says about Autolycus? He is clearly using all those people who out of their Christian kindness wants to help others. Is Shakespeare suggesting that we look twice at who we help? I think Clown was still happy even after his money was stolen, showing that he didn't regret doing a good deed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Justin, I did mean to explain how I'm not as much like clown as I could be, in that I don't think I'm as willing to be charitable toward strangers, which may hint at a feeling that I'd like to believe I'm not naive. I'll have to get back to you on what character I'd be in this play. Angie, maybe Shakespeare was pointing out Christian ideologies that he didn't fully agree with (i.e. 'naively' giving to strangers who are in fact taking advantage of us), but yet he acknowledged that they can still be happy with what they're doing, whatever the consequence?

    ReplyDelete